Upcoming Events


UPCOMING EVENTS:

Come out & say hi!
6/17 Bobbi Brown Summerize Your Skin Event - Skokie, IL.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Zombie Hands


Hey folks! I'm back today with a step by step picture tutorial demonstrating how to create zombie hands! This makeup would also be great if you're planning on being a witch or any other character that might have some gnarly mitts! Let's jump right in, shall we?

Let's set the mood with my song of the moment, though. This has been stuck in my head for days now & this little girl beasts the choreography like no otha! I love Sia, etc.


I'm the one "for a good time call"
Phone's blowin' up, ringin' my doorbell
I feel the love, feel the love

Ok here we go!

What I used (& a few tips/product recommendations)


1.) Rubie's Spirit Gum adhesive - can be found almost anywhere that sells any kind of costume/Halloween makeup.
2.) Ben Nye Nose & Scar Wax
3.) Mehron Liquid Latex
4.) Disposable makeup brushes  - I used a cheap assortment from Michael's that cost me under $5 because I don't like to use my more expensive brushes for latex application. Red cream makeup, in particular, also tends to stain my brushes beyond repair so I like to toss them once I'm done or use them a few more times to apply the same product at a later time.
5.) CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous foundation in 810 - you can use whatever foundation you have on hand or skip this step. I did this to lighten the grey & so that the makeup would be more realistic. You can use white cream makeup to customize your shade of grey instead, though!
6.) Ben Nye Professional Wheels (or some other kind of cream makeup) - The main colors you will need are: Grey, Red, White (to highlight & mix in with the grey to create depth), Green & Black. I used the Zombie/Rainbow wheels but you can also pick up some Fantasy Makers palettes from the makers of Wet 'N Wild instead & mix them to get essentially the same colors I used. They typically come with 4 colors that can be mixed to create virtually any shade you need. As a matter of fact, Dollar Tree stores have already started stocking them so you've got plenty of time to run out & try 'em! I included one such palette in the photo above & even though it's in embarrassing condition (I use the lid to mix colors), you get the point! They're actually really wonderful for looks like this because they're easy to blend & super affordable & convenient.
7.) Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Powder -  you'll need some kind of translucent powder to set your makeup & make sure it stays put.
8.) Fake blood - I chose a slightly thicker/darker formula
9.) Metal tool for scooping your scar wax - I used the end of a pair of tweezers. You can use the end of a spoon just as well or one of those pointed metal nail files - just be careful not to poke yourself!

Step by step:

1.) Decide where you'd like to place your wound. Once you've got that figured out, apply your Spirit Gum to the area & wait for it to get tacky. This product is used to keep your wound in place until you decide to remove it.


2.) Scoop out some scar wax & apply it over the Spirit Gum. Start manipulating it with your fingers or tool of choice. Sometimes its easier to warm it up with your hands first in order to smooth it out. I was going for a textured, dry looking finish so I applied it directly to my hand. Get a nice thick layer on.


3.) Drag the end of your tweezers (or whatever tool you are using) through the middle of the wound creating a divide or "cut".

 

4.) To secure the wax, use a bit of liquid latex on the edges of your wound. I applied this with a small paint brush. I also applied some liquid latex in patches (randomly) to get a bit more texture. After doing this, you can keep the brush you used for future makeup & use it to apply latex a couple more times.


5.) Once the latex is dry, add some color! I used a dark grey from my Ben Nye Professional Zombie Wheel, mixed with my foundation & applied it with a medium sized paint brush. If you have darker skin, use a white cream makeup to get your desired shade. I also took a sponge & applied bits of a mossy green to blend in with the grey (applied the green around the wound, nail beds & lines/creases in my hand).


6.) Apply red cream makeup in the cut. Red cream makeup is usually pretty difficult to remove from my brushes & since I have no patience I usually toss them after applying the red. For this reason, it's good to stock up on some cheap brushes that you wont feel guilty about tossing out or getting latex/ stubborn makeup on.


7.) Use some dark grey/blackcream makeup to create some depth. Apply the darker colors along the edges of the gash and inside to dull that red a bit and make it look a bit more realistic.


8.) I used a dark greyish/purple color to add some depth to the hands by applying it around and on the nails and in natural hand creases (on the fingers). At this point it doesn't have to be perfect and will probably look a bit cartoonish. 


9.) Blend these colors some by going over the areas with the same brush you applied your all over color with (the grey you applied first). This will soften the lines & make everything look more realistic.


10.) Keep adding depth by building color. I added in more dark greys & even black around the wound so it would look nice and infected/irritated and just plain gross. Then I patted the darker colors with a sponge & even my fingers for a more even blend. I kept laying down colors & blending them until I got the desired effect.


11.) Using a very thin brush I took some black cream makeup & once again traced over some of the lines and crevices created by the wax. I also applied the black around my nails once more & in any lines on my fingers for extra definition.


12.) Blend those lines with a slightly larger and fluffier brush. Don't blend them away completely, but just enough so they don't look so obvious. When I finished blending, I added my colorless powder all over my hand to set all the colors & make sure they would stay in place.


13.) By this point he gon' put a ring on it hunty! Ok ok just kidding...*sigh*

Apply some blood in the wound & VOILA you've got some nasty zombie hands!


Hope this was helpful. These are definitely my favorite tutorials to do so wont you join me for more? Please check back! Muahuahuahua! :)

Joanna xo

No comments:

Post a Comment