Upcoming Events


UPCOMING EVENTS:

Come out & say hi!
6/17 Bobbi Brown Summerize Your Skin Event - Skokie, IL.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Let's talk about MICELLAR WATERS! Everything you NEED to know & more...

Let me start off by saying that I am thrilled to see more micellar waters available for purchase in the US! I recently spotted Simple's version of micellar water at Target & knew I had to give it a try.


But before I go any further, I realize you may be asking yourself... 

What the heck is micellar water, anyway?

Micellar waters originated in France and are soap free cleansing waters containing micelle molecules, which are made up of fatty acid esters. Esters comprise most naturally occurring fats and oils. These tiny oil molecules are essentially suspended in soft water.

So uh, what are they used for, exactly?

When you use a micellar water on a cotton pad, the micelles are attracted to the impurities in the skin & effectively draw them out & dissolve them without drying or leaving behind any chemical residue.
Micellar waters wont smear makeup around like a traditional makeup wipe, either. Instead, they more thoroughly pick up what other methods of cleansing and makeup removal leave behind. Most micellar waters also remove eye makeup like a dream & contain other beneficial skin boosting ingredients (such as vitamins) which moisturize & soothe.

Another bonus? Many brands opt for fragrance free versions, which are ideal for sensitive skin & use around the eyes. You wont experience any stinging, burning or skin tightness when using them. Instead, they are incredibly refreshing & gentle.

Also, they require no rinsing, so they're great for taking off makeup at the end of a long day & perfect for travel.

Lastly, micellar water can be used on a q-tip to correct makeup mistakes made during everyday application, which makes it a staple in my makeup kit.

Are they for everyone?

Yep! Because they're so gentle, micellar waters are great for all skin types (even acne prone).

I sometimes use them on clients to prep their skin for makeup, particularly if they are quite oily. Now, if you tend to have very oily skin, you may need an additional cleanser at some point. 

Help! I want some, where can I get it?!

Now, the first micellar water I ever tried was Bioderma, a cult favorite used by makeup artists & models behind the scenes for years. I will say, it's a truly amazing product & I highly recommend it. When I first discovered it years ago, it wasn't as readily available as it is now and it was pricier. Now, you can easily order it online (I usually order through Amazon or other beauty sites which offer a MUA discount).


Fortunately for me, many Polish stores & pharmacies in my area stock some amazing beauty products (including micellar waters by great brands like AA, Vichy, Ziaja, Perfecta & Soraya). These European products give you plenty of high quality options to choose from so, if you're from Chicago (like me), you can get your hands on them pretty easily! If you aren't, you can also order them online here. Oh, you're welcome. :)

But wait! You've got even more options!

As I mentioned at the top of this post, I recently noticed that Simple has come up with their own micellar water (available now at Target) so I decided to give it a try. Long story short, it's pretty awesome. I like to pour some on a cotton pad and gently press it onto my lids to remove shadow & mascara. I then take a fresh cotton pad to sweep all over my face to remove the rest of my makeup. You can also use it to refresh skin prior to makeup application.

Verdict?

Let's not beat around the bush...You need some micellar water in your life!

Joanna xo

No comments:

Post a Comment