Upcoming Events


UPCOMING EVENTS:

Come out & say hi!
6/17 Bobbi Brown Summerize Your Skin Event - Skokie, IL.

Friday, May 22, 2015

An Epic Journey: Light shopping (read: hoarding) at Target... + reviews for your trouble.



Last night I decided to distract my blues away with a little trip to Target. As usual, the plan was to pop in for some cat food (I don't deny my cat lady ways, hunty) & maybe some ice cream (aka the stereotypical girl pick-me-up for a rough day) but I ended up spending forever looking at their clothes & then made my way to the make up aisles (read: the vortex). I noticed that their e.l.f selection had expanded a great deal so, naturally, I had to pick up & inspect each product. Somehow, I managed to grab only 3 things (2 of which I already own - d'oh!) & scuttle out of there. Since my mom is a L'Oreal fan, I picked up a mascara to try & stumbled across a brow pencil that I simply had to have in that moment. It was the key to my most perfect brows, I decided (even though I just bought Anastasia's dipbrow - but I digress!). I scooped up some cat food, forgot all about my ice cream & sped away, unnecessary purchases in my bag & a look of total satisfaction on my face...*booming villainous laughter*

I was all...

Product Reviews:

The two e.l.f brushes I got (Eyeshadow brush 1815 + Smudge brush 1825) are actually pretty great. They're cheap ($1 each) and super useful. Since I have now purchased them twice, I have them for myself & as back ups in my kit drawer.

I also tested the e.l.f lip exfoliator & really like it. I used to get suckered into buying the Lush Bubblegum lip scrub (it smells good, okay?!) but then I started making my own out of sugar + honey. Still, I like the idea of having a lip scrub in a tube, so I don't have to directly touch it to apply. It also helps focus the product where I need it (on my lips, as opposed to my chin and under my nose). It does what it's supposed to & made my lips feel soft. I have to add that the packaging is great. It isn't flimsy or cheap...it comes in a sturdy black tube with some weight to it. I'm impressed & will most likely repurchase this often.

The L'Oreal Brow Stylist Designer Eyebrow Pencil in Blond is another good purchase. It's not crazy pigmented & has to be built up, but I like that about it. It doesn't smudge or look shiny when it's applied. Also, it has a pencil on one side and a little spoolie (think mini mascara wand) on the other side, so you can brush your brow hairs in place or comb through for a more natural look. I have a bunch of little wands laying around, but I love that this product makes it simple & combines the two. I have been using Anastasia's Dipbrow pomade on my eyebrows lately and, while I do like it, it's definitely a product that requires some time, patience & precision to apply. When I'm in a hurry, brow pencils really do the trick. The thing I like most about this pencil is the color, though. I've noticed that a lot of the brow pencils I've had are slightly off in color...usually a bit too red...etc. This one seems to compliment my hair best and I really appreciate that.

Lastly, The L'Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes mascara in Blackest Black is an absolute nightmare. I'm starting to think I got a bad one or something, so I'll try not to bash it into the ground completely...but holy shit...this stuff gave me spider lashes to the max. The brush looks nothing like the photos online, for one thing. The little bristles are super short, scraggly...weird. The formula is kinda dry and strange & I had a ton of fallout and lashes that went every which way. It gave me no volume & was a clumped together mess. There are certain mascaras I like more when I've had 'em a while & they dry out some, but...this is not one of them. It sucks and I'm taking it back...which is something I rarely feel compelled to do.

Hope you've enjoyed reading about my super exciting Target quest (lololol)! Hope the reviews were at least semi informative.

Leaving you with the song I've been replaying all day - Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots! Blurryface is a great album, just sayin'.

Wish we could turn back time, to the good ol’ days,
When our momma sang us to sleep but now we’re stressed out

TGIF & happy weekend, all!

Joanna xo

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted a lip exfoliator and the lip stick style packaging is perf :) totally checking this out -Ezi

    ReplyDelete