Upcoming Events


UPCOMING EVENTS:

Come out & say hi!
6/17 Bobbi Brown Summerize Your Skin Event - Skokie, IL.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Girls Girls Girls



I wasn't sure where to post this & then I had a eureka moment & remembered I had a blog! This isn't going to be a typical makeup picture post, but I felt the need to share my thoughts. Don't worry - I'll try to keep it concise! :)

I've come across & even met some absolutely amazing makeup artists, especially in the past couple of years. I've admired their work & have never hesitated to tell them so. As a matter of fact, I think that there is something to learn from each artist I come across...whether it's a new technique, a fresh approach, product recommendation - you name it! That's why I find it absolutely staggering when women in this industry turn their backs on one another and make things more difficult for each other, rather than lending a helping hand (even solely in the form of a suggestion or constructive critique).



As a freelance artist, I know how hard it is to find jobs, network, upkeep my kit...so it always puts a bad taste in my mouth to see the negativity of a person succumbing to their over inflated ego. That being said, if I'm going to be honest, being a total bitch to other artists is downright unprofessional.

There, I said it. 

In case you're wondering, I'm not even referencing my own experiences in this post (though I've had my fair share). I happened to see a back and forth conversation between 2 artists (one of whom was asking legitimate questions and another who wrongly believes she has had all the answers bestowed upon her by the makeup gods). If a fellow artist is asking for input, take it as a compliment, answer thoroughly and be kind. Short vague answers, bad attitudes & general huffing and puffing read as insecurity. Take pride in yourself & your work, & always be confident enough in yourself & your craft to be able to appreciate/uplift others. That's my advice, anyway.

In addition to seeing it in person, I've also seen stuff like this in makeup groups I'm a member of online...I don't believe in ridiculing other artists or making someone feel like they asked a stupid question. If they're asking, it means they genuinely want to find an answer. If they're asking you, try to respond with some understanding. I guess I can't stomach situations like these, because they usually stem from people who form these groups in the name of creating "unity" in the industry...

In the end, it's best to stay humble & learn to appreciate others' work. That way, you can keep learning. That's the beauty of this industry, there's always room to expand, learn, grow, study, observe, experiment  & improve.

Don't let your ego lead you by the nose.

& that's my two cents on that topic.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 & a few thoughts on the Instagram phenomenon...


 If you're a makeup artist or company seeking followers on Instagram by essentially tricking people into following you (i.e. following users, waiting for a follow back & subsequently unfollowing) your service/product probably needs a whole lot of work. Seeking a following for no other reason than to see your #'s go up is how I distinguish a hobbyist (trying to mimic the success of popular YouTube gurus) from a professional/serious artist. People notice when you do stuff like that & they usually unfollow anyhow...Let your talent guide you!

I've found that Instagram is generally an amazing resource for MUAs & I'm constantly inspired by all the eclectic styles I see on there (from sfx to beauty & everything else in between). I've actually had the pleasure of meeting (some in person) phenomenal and inspiring artists through IG & I wouldn't have, had I used this hide-&-seek method of attracting followers...lol.

In short, I think that resorting to any particular blatantly dishonest tactics to gain a following pretty much strips a person/profile of credibility. But I suppose it's helpful in spotting profiles you don't need to be following anyway. :P Ahh, there's always a silver lining. Haha.

Joanna xo

No comments:

Post a Comment