Upcoming Events


UPCOMING EVENTS:

Come out & say hi!
6/17 Bobbi Brown Summerize Your Skin Event - Skokie, IL.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Getting Thrifty: An Introduction


This post is a bit different for my blog, but I figured it would still be a fun addition to my page. I've been doing a lot of "Spring cleaning" and reorganizing lately- starting with my bedroom. For the last year, I've been looking for more effective storage and finally came up with some ideas. To start with, I needed a way to organize my jewelry (my earrings were a particular problem). While I was thrifting this past Monday, I finally found a solution so I figured I would share my finds.


I have to say, I had a particularly successful thrift trip this time around. I found some amazing (vintage & modern) clothing items, accessories and home decor but I'll save those for a future post.  Anyhow, I noticed that there was a ton of vintage glass and even crystal, so I picked out a few pieces but only ended up going with the one I liked most. I wasn't sure how I'd incorporate it into my decor at the time, but I just couldn't put it down.


The piece I picked is a thick and durable divided tray. It's quite heavy, fantastic quality and I love pieces like this because of all the intricate details. Not only does it have the rounded outer edges and perfectly spaced dividers, the bottom is also stunning. I didn't think to get a photo of it empty, but you can still see some of that gorgeous detail work peeking through.

I'm excited to place this on my dresser next to my perfumes. It makes it easy for me to see all of my favorite earrings (which I divided into larger studs, smaller studs & danglies). The original price was $4.99, but since I went on a 50% off day, I only paid $2.50.


I'm inclined to believe that my tray is made of glass, but I like it so much that I'm definitely going to be on the hunt for more. I actually saw a few more glass and crystal pieces (which is amazing because crystal ain't cheap, in case you didn't know) that I'm hoping will still be there. *fingers crossed*  It's a good idea to hit up thrift shops, estate sales and even garage sales for one of a kind vintage finds like this. Either way, it was an amazing deal.

If you're interested in getting a little thrifty yourself and finding your own glass/crystal pieces, differentiating between the two can be tricky, so here's a little guide for telling the difference between the two:

Glass vs Crystal 
 
  • Hold it up to the light. If the glass acts as a prism and you see a rainbow you are holding crystal. If not, it is just plain glass.
  • When struck, crystal produces a musical ring. Glass does not.
  • If you wet your finger and run it around the rim of a crystal glass it will also produce a musical tone.
  • Crystal can be worked thinner than glass, so if the rim of a piece is exceptionally thin it's probably crystal.
  • Crystal will be heavier.
  • Glass typically has sharp cuts, while crystal will have clean, rounded cuts. 

Further Reading

CLICK HERE for a detailed article explaining the difference between glass & crystal. 

Thrifty Tips

- If you go to thrift shops, check out their sale days to get the best deals. Mine has half off sales every Monday, for example.
 - Go back often! Merchandise changes quickly.
- Be prepared to do some digging! Thrifting can be a bit more time consuming than popping into a regular store, but it's worth it. There's nothing like finding a truly rare piece for cheap!
- Be open minded!

Bonus find of the day!

I've already shared this on IG so I just had to include it because it's too good. It was my other fav find of the day, a pristine 90's evening bag.

I will be serving some Cher Horowitz/Alexia Wheaton realness...assuming I ever make it out of the house! It was an unbelievable steal at only 50 cents, though. The shoulder strap tucked inside is in perfect condition as well. The 90's girl in me is still squealing.



Ok ok, enough rambling - 'til next time.  Happy thrifting!

 Joanna xo

No comments:

Post a Comment